Day 58 of 366: What The Hell Am I Doing Here?

Taken on a one fine day in front of CAIS, Unimas. 


My name is Marcella Julan Anak Geoffrey, and I am currently studying Bachelor of Finance in Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS), Kota Samarahan. 

Our first year class photo. As you can see, we looked very much 'innocent' and 'younger' then. Trust me, we don't look like this anymore. Well, most of us :D

This is Finance batch 2010/2011. They are whom I call 'my family' in Unimas since July 2010 until now. My close friends? They know who they are. I don't think I have to point it out because it is very obvious. :) Though this class have clique (kinda like high school, but perhaps a more mature clique?), you've got to admit most of us help each other, either via Facebook, Twitter or texting/calling. For those who are still in school and wondering how do you survive in university? Be in cliques, but be an acquaintance to everyone. It will help you A LOT I tell you. There is no such thing as "teacher's pet" anymore in here. Ask questions if you don't understand. This is not school. We are not punished for asking questions. 

During my 2 years (it has been TWO years ALREADY?? Time flies so fast, don't you think?) in this course, I've got to admit, I've been following the flow, as I am that kind of person. Cause to tell you the truth, Finance is not my first choice. Really, it wasn't. For the past year, I have been asking myself and God, especially during hard times, why am I here? I know things happen for a reason, but I do wish I know what the reason is. As new semester approaches, the subjects are getting tougher. 3rd semester was the first semester where everything gets tough. It challenges the physical and also the mental I tell you, and I'm secretly glad to know that I wasn't the only one who was going through this.  It's a wonder that I actually get by last semester, but it wasn't a smooth journey, that's for sure. 

Taken from a fellow coursemate's Facebook Wall Photos.


Last week in Research Methodology and Econometrics class, both the lecturers asked us to find a topic of interest for research projects and I was like, "I don't even know what I like!!" Yes, I am that clueless. And again, I find myself asking the same question, "but I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here?" (for those of you who are wondering, why is that line so familiar, it's a lyric to a song. Google it up :D) Until I entered Mr Muhammad Abdullah's class, which is Financial Institution, Capital and Money Market where I think somehow, finally, my question is answered. He said this,

"All of you are the CHOSEN ONE to be in Finance."

Well, something like that lah. At first, I didn't really catch what he said until (I think) he repeat that again. And so I was like, "thank you Lord for finally answer my question. You are indeed very wise, even when I don't understand it at all." It was indeed an eye opener for me, and I am really glad that I am here, doing Bachelor of Finance, and not something else like engineering (though I am in a men hunt for those who are engineers/engineers-to-be :p) or nursing. Engineering, from what I've heard from a few acquaintances of mine, is a very tough subject. No kidding. If you think our course is tough, think of these people. There are those who became a zombie after a few days of not sleeping (true story, although they don't turn into a real zombie lah). Those who are in Faculty of Engineering are another type of 'chosen' people, because they are made to be, suppose to be, and should be, strong people as most of their jobs are field jobs. That is definitely no doubt about it. While us in Finance, we can choose to be a financial analyst, financial planners, personal finance advisors, just to name a few. And most of the jobs requires us to be in an office and not going to a site to supervise a building (thank God), which is a good thing too. Though there might be cons of being in Finance industry, I guess it's alright because in the end of the day, everything has it's own pros and cons. It's just up to us how are we going to react to it. Like what my dad always said to me,

"Don't do what you like, but like what you do."

Some of you might not understand what he means by that. Me included, at first that is. But when you think about it, this saying is right in some ways, because you will never know what you are doing will give you in return. It is like a silver lining, if you can put it that way. 

*paused*

Well, that's a very lengthy explanation on what I am currently doing for another one year and a half (I hope, amen). I think I should get back to what I'm doing to, searching topics on Islamic Finance and Research Methodology. And for those of you who reads this, I hope that you won't get bored by this cause sometimes I tend to get overboard while writing (haha) but maybe you should start asking yourself (and myself included), where do you want to be in this industry in another 5 years time. Be it in the banking industry, education (by being a lecturer perhaps?), insurance etc, I wish you all the best. 


Till next time when my brain decided to hatch an idea on something to write.


Love,
Marcy.
Xoxo.

CONVERSATION

0 comments darling:

Post a Comment

Back
to top