I am the author of my life

nowplaying: Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve



Yesterday afternoon, as I was driving back from the airport after a great chat with Aunty Eileen,
I was thinking to myself, 

"WHAT DO I REALLY WANT TO DO IN MY LIFE?"

Now allow me to tell you to what has been happening in my dull life for the past eight months:

JANUARY - sat for my FINAL, final exam of my university years.
Kumang's day out. Highlight of the day: helped Tina prepare her wedding playlist.
Celebrated a quiet birthday with the soul sister and her sister.
Celebrated CNY and my belated birthday with the family (including Uncle Joe's who flied all the way from Miri to be with us).

FEBRUARY - Jobless.
Attended PRUCheese program done by Aunty Eileen's team. Definitely an eye opener experience.
Celebrated Valentine's Day with the best friend by going on a girly girl night out at The Library.
Received an offer to become a relief teacher at SMK Batu Lintang for one month. Or so it seems.

MARCH - Officially become a relief teacher at SMK Batu Lintang. Oh, btw, I teach History for Form 4 and Form 6. *yes, yawn away*
Got a confirmation letter from UNIMAS that I will be graduating this year. Woots!
Sat for pre-contact exam and passed.
Hang out with Vic, Rachel, Achis and Jess and got the invitation card for Tina's wedding.

APRIL - Still a relief teacher as I got extended TWICE in the month.
Gain a realization that healthy lifestyle is the way after the school's sports day, so I started to jog every evening.

MAY - Back to being jobless.
Managed to loss some weight after jogging and crash diet.
Helped Aunty Eileen and her team at UITM when they opened up a career drive booth.
Tina's wedding.
Had a fling (nothing sexual though).

JUNE - Gawai! Foods galore. *yeap, you guess it, I gained back all the weight I lost in May.*
Little brother entered UITM for diploma. How did time flies so fast?
Sat for CEILLI exam.
Started to apply for more jobs.
Helped Elly to move out from her rental house.

JULY - Sent Elly to the airport, where she is going back to Sabah for good.
Passed my CEILLI exam.
Got a call to attend an interview from the many jobs that I've applied.
Met Aunty Eileen and she had offered a work opportunity with her team.
Got another call from the interviewer that I managed to go through the second round of interview.

AUGUST - Went for the second interview, and out of the 50 people from the first interview, I was among the 9 people selected, and the first three people out of the 9 of the second round interview.
Finally talked to Aunty about that work opportunity with her team.


Oh, let me tell you about the second round of interview.
The job that I interviewed for is a sales job, therefore, for the second interview, us candidates were asked to pitch a sale on any product of our choice.
I was asked to come on Monday, along with another two candidates, I was the second presenter.
While I was waiting for my turn to present, my heart beats fast, but it's not really because I'm nervous.
Maybe because I just want to present and get over with.
I get that all the time before doing a presentation.
When it was my turn to present, I just went in front, and just started to talk, like how I would talk to my friends, acquaintances, or course mates.
I feel the adrenaline rush from just, talking, engaging with people.
I feel so, alive.
Sure the interviewer, along with his senior workers who were there to evaluate us, tried to ask hard questions just to throw me off; that is what they are supposed to do.
They want to see if these people that they interview, are the right people for the job, especially, if it is a sales job.
But I can say, that I managed to answer every single question that they throw at me, in confidence (although the answer might not be the right one haha).
This exposure, is something that I had learnt when I did my internship with Aunty.
So if you asked me, do you think I could get the job,
my answer would be, if the interviewer had to choose the best of the best from all the three interview sessions,
I can say I know I am the best for my session (I've seen the other two candidates' presentation, and I can safely say, I did better than them, not being over confident here, but, you get me), and I think I can be among the three that got selected for the job.

Now, the job opportunity with Aunty Eileen.
Aunty Eileen is *how do I put this delicately, in a way not to scare you people about it* involve in the financial planning business, working under a big, prominent, financial institution.
I got to know her as my intern manager, but as time passes, I still keep in touch with her because I find her very inspiring, especially that she wants to help as much as she can with our Bumiputera people.
Every time she is in town, be it for a project or work purposes, I somehow always managed to be wherever she is.
Even if it is only for a few hours, I am always there.
And after finally talking about her plans of bringing me into her team yesterday (she had been talking about this since March, it was during the time I became a relief teacher), I can safely say, I was intrigued.
I have been with her team (although not as a person who properly working with them) for a while now, and I enjoyed being around these people.
They are fun to be with and very professional when it comes to their job.
I get to meet new people every time, without fail, which is something that I enjoy actually.


So you see, I have a sinking feeling that I am on the crossroads.
Although I am yet to be sure I will get the job after the second interview (they will call me by Friday if I succeeded. And if I don't receive one, well, we know the answer already), but it is already enough to make me feel like I am on the crossroad because I know I did my 110% best for the second interview.
The opportunity with Aunty on the other hand, sounds very promising, because I have seen the "products" of those whom she took under her wings and succeeded.
And I don't based this because it sounds promising alone, but because somehow I can see a future down the path, like a light at the end of a tunnel.
However, I do have a little bit of fear because my parents, especially papa, isn't really keen with the industry that Aunty is in.
But I don't blame him though, because I know he based this on his own experience.
I guess he doesn't want me to experience what he had experience. 
That's what parents do; they will try their best to protect you from any harm, even if it is not that harmful.
Mummy, on the other hand, is another different story that I will talk about in another entry (if it is relevant).
What really triggers me to have this thought is actually from my 18 year old brother, asking me this, upon knowing about my second interview

"So is this a job, or a career?"

And I remembered that I couldn't answer him at the time.
Mind you, I am a very opinionated person.
So for me to not have an answer for that question, means something. 

Irregardless of the decision that I will take, I want to make sure that I am indeed happy with the decision.
No second thoughts, no nothing.
Because I don't like to take a decision and regret it a few months/years later or hold grudges to the people whom are affected by the decision I make. 
By the end of this week, I'm sure I will have a decision to make.
I hope that this will be a fruitful beginning to a new chapter. 



A wise wisdom given by my old man (he's not that old, sama umur ngan Malaysia jak pun haha),


"Don't do what you love, but instead, love what you do."

Took me a while to understand that, maybe because he said that to me when I was eighteen (I think). 
What do I know about what I wanna do in life back then hahaha. 
But maybe you should ponder upon that, and reflect on your own life, your working life to be exact. 

Happy hump day, people!

CONVERSATION

0 comments darling:

Post a Comment

Back
to top