Confident sinda Dayak

Yesterday marks the day where the Dayaks (which includes the Ibans, Bidayuhs as well as Orang Ulu, correct me if I'm wrong) celebrated Gawai Dayak. 
So just like previous years, 
we went back to mummy's kampung at Bau 
to visit some of our relatives; mummy's siblings to be exact. 
Unlike my brothers, I can speak Bidayuh. 
But now it's quite rusty for I don't speak Bidayuh to mummy at home 
and none of my close friends are Bidayuh,
well, except Pris but she is more to her Biatah side.

This is my conversation with my uncle,  we were talking about my convocation which is going to happen this year:

Uncle N: Sindik baby graduate? Sowak itih keh? 
Mummy: Iyoh sowak itih tapi doik pu'an bulan ki.
Me: Oh. Graduation ku sowak tih leh, bulan sebelas tiak. 
*note: in Bidayuh language, eleven is pronounced as "simong ndi"*

When hearing this, mak, mummy's sister almost laughed at how I answered my uncle. 
Hahaha sorrylah my Bidayuh rusty bah.
Doik nyaa duoh oku sinda Dayak di boley. 

Anyways, I would like to take this opportunity to wish all Dayaks 
Selamat Ari Gawai,
Gayu guru gerai nyamai
Lantang senang nguan menua.
Ooooooohaaaa.


CONVERSATION

0 comments darling:

Post a Comment

Back
to top