Opinionated

OPINIONATED. 

According to the Urban Dictionary, opinionated is defined as "Someone who isn't afraid to give their personal opinion. It doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's just someone that doesn't stay quiet, if they don't agree with something."  


It is only the first month of the year 2014, and yet it has been 'coloured' with various issues. Issues which I deem to be misleading sometimes, because some of the issues are from a small thing which certain people (I would not name who, but we all know who the culprits are) twist it which then leads people to think it is a big issue. In communication, this is called "agenda setting". Among the issues that was viral on Facebook and Twitter (but I based this on Twitter because I spent most of my time on Twitter) are:


1. Kalimah "Allah" issue
This issue stems from an appeal done by Herald - Catholic Weekly to the High Court Judge; where the verdict of the case was that the Herald was prohibited to use the word "Allah" in their publication. From there, the Catholic church brings this matter up to the Court of Appeal. And again, the verdict was that non-Muslims are not allowed to use the word in reference to God in Bahasa Malaysia. This, undeniably is a big issue, because it involves religion. Playing the religion/race card is insensitive, especially when a country is consists of a multiracial country, like ours. 



Now, I am a Christian. A Catholic to be exact. And although I don't seem to express my feelings about this on Twitter or Facebook, or this blog even (this is the first time I actually state my opinion in regards to this on social media), doesn't mean I have no stand on this. I am not very angry like most people about this issue, just, bitter. Bitter because a country so beautifully multiracial like ours became unstable because of this. We are the laughing stock all around the world, because only in Malaysia, non Muslims are not allowed to use this word. But unlike some keyboard warriors out there, I don't go on and say bad things about Islam. One, because my bestfriend is a Muslim. I respect her religion as much as she respects mine. Surprised? It's because I am a Sarawakian, and most people know that Sarawakians people are very laidback, and the real concept of 1Malaysia had started way earlier before our Prime Minister proposed this, ideology (if I might say so). To me, I don't care what religion you are. I value you as a person. If you are good and kind to me, I will be good and kind to you. Because to me, every religion, be it Christian, Islam, Buddha, etc, are beautiful. What makes it ugly, are the people who acted in the name of religion.


Wow. That was a very lengthy explanation. Lengthier than I thought. Haha. Moving on to the next issue.


2. Kangkung issue
Now, for those of you who doesn't know what "kangkung:" is, it is actually a water spinach. This kangkung issue stems from the Prime Minister's speech at Terengganu, where he said that everyone should be thankful for despite of the hikes of the prices of goods, the price of "kangkung" had decreased. Okay, I know he meant well because everyone (I reckon) loves to eat kangkung (P.s. rojak kangkung at Swee Kang is to die for!), but he could have come up with a better example. And now, there's gonna be flash mob to mock about this issue, some even lashes out about kangkung. As much as you against this, I don't think that there is a need to do that. We have other issues that requires attention, REAL ISSUES, like how to tackle about the sudden increase in goods price and such. 13th General Election might be over, but if these issues continue up to the 14th General Election, I am not sure who to trust because both Barisan Nasional and Pakatan Rakyat are acting up like school kids. Maybe it is just me. I know not all of the politicians from both sides are like what I just described, but most of them, are just disappointing.

This was funny for one, two days. But everyday? Please, just stop!


Those are the two biggest issue so far that went viral, from my perspective as a social media user. I have nothing against voicing out your opinion on social media. There is nothing wrong about it. Everybody has opinion. Even I do. Heck, my best friend even describe me as a "very opinionated person", where I have an opinion about almost everything. However, I guess I find it annoying when an opinionated person voices out their opinion on social media, and then condemn another party for having a different opinion than them. Or, that because you find the action of a party is wrong, and you want EVERYONE to agree with you that their action is wrong. That is not what it should be. To sum what I'm saying in this paragraph, I just have to say, if you choose to voice out your opinion, do it right. Choose your words wisely, because those words can come back and haunt you for all you know. 

As funny as this may be, what Timmy's dad said is true. 






CONVERSATION

0 comments darling:

Post a Comment

Back
to top