Before One Direction, we have.....WESTLIFE!

Yes, I am the 90's kid. During my childhood, we play outside, run around the field and fell down until we scrapped our knees and such. Unlike kids these days, with the existence of iPad, tablets and smart phones, they became antisocial and lifeless. At least, that is my observation, based on the kids these days.


Music these days are also different, as they are more elements of electronic musics, repeating lyrics and those with good looks but doesn't necessarily sing very well. I know that my cousins love One Direction, and also Big Time Rush, Justin Bieber, Greyson Chance, just to name a few. Not that I don't appreciate these people, but, well, what joy does it make when you karaoke to the songs and the lyrics are repeating for a dozen times? Example, Ellie Goulding's Anything Could Happen. Don't get me wrong, I do love her songs but imagine you go karaoke and you choose to sing this song, and the chorus goes:


"Anything could happen, anything could happen, anything could happen, anything could happen, anything could happen....."

Are you not tired singing to that over and over again? I know I'll be out of breath lah.


Anyways, approximately one hour ago, I was channel browsing, not knowing what to watch, until I came across Westlife's farewell tour and the four members, Shane Filan, Mark Feehily, Kian Egan and Nicky Byrne singing. So I decided to watch it and I was blown away! Oh btw, it was a concert at Croke Park, Dublin, Ireland. I sang along to the songs and surprisingly, I still remember all the lyrics to it. I mean, c'mon, I grew up to them. When I was about 9/10, every other weekend, papa and I karaoke-ed to their songs. My favourite at the time was If I Let You Go, Seasons In The Son (this was a cover btw), I Had A Dream (another cover) and Flying Without Wings. Heck, I even performed one of their songs with my classmates when I was in Primary 4 (pecah rahsia, lol).


There was this part when Shane was talking, saying:

"Years ago, I was watching in the tele (television), during a Micheal Jackson concert, the lights were exactly like this (at Croke Park). And I told my mother, 'mum, this will be me someday'. And it finally come true..."

Well, it sounds more or less like that. But the point is, upon hearing him saying that, and the background music was of the tune to You Raise Me Up, tears started falling in my face. It got me thinking, just in front of the tv I was crying bucket of tears, imagine if I were one of the crowds in their farewell tour, I know it will be buckets and buckets of tears!

This was the crowd during the farewell concert. Picture courtesy of Google Image.


Westlife was a part of my childhood. And to know that now they decided to split up saddened me. Then again, life has to go on, and well, you've gotta admit, they're not as young as they used to be anymore to be dancing around on the stage (though, I admit, I do love the fact that they shuffled during the farewell tour. Haha). Despite that, I am proud to say that Westlife is indeed a great part in my life, and it will always be there and I can just visit it whenever I like it. Songs like Flying Without Wings, Swear It Again, Soledad, etc. will always be a tune in my heart. 


I know I am not the only one feeling this way. 


Imma end this post with the final part, the emotional one I must say, but they indeed looking very suave here (beat that One D!), where they sing World of Our Own and Flying Without Wings. 

CONVERSATION

0 comments darling:

Post a Comment

Back
to top