Beyond Imperfection

*Bare in mind that this post is merely 95% of current emotions. I might regret saying this later, but for the time being I guess it is right for me to voice out whatever I have kept bottled inside*

As a little girl, I was always the one being scolded by my parent (I shall not name who did that because now, we need each other more than ever). I am not the perfect little girl, I was a brat as back then (according to that parent of mine), they learn to do things on their own. Unlike us who needed to be told to do things. Let's face it, I was born in a different era, hence different parenting style should be used. But maybe then, nobody realized that. So the parenting style that I was living in is sort of the year 1970's or even earlier. I was even "disumpah" that I will not being able to cook when I grow up. Out of fear, I believed that. And true enough, now, I don't cook well; does not pass the standard of a girl. The only things that I can cook are fried egg, fried rice, boiled water and of course, instant noodle. 

But despite of that, among all my siblings, I was the smartest one. I get top 10 every time back in primary school. I was (and still is) very outspoken; my talent was exposed by my BM teacher, Madam Agnes Ong which then groomed me to be a storyteller that I was able to become one of the best storyteller in my primary school. And it was not only in BM, but in English also. My singing talent was discovered when I was in Primary 3 by Mr Willson Binet, whom then asked me to perform during the Teacher's day celebration when I was in Primary 3; and again when I was in Primary 4 and 5. I was also the school's debater, but coming from a very small school with lack of training, I was only a champion at my school, SK Catholic English. It doesn't matter, for it has made me who I am today.

Nevertheless, when I entered secondary school, everything changes. From a young, outspoken child, I turn into an awkwardly teenager (but still perform quite well) in school. Though, my talent was wasted away due to fear. Yes, I am actually a girl with a lot of fear. First and foremost, fear of my parents. Secondly, fear of being ridiculed as I realized that those girls that came from St Teresa Primary School are actually much bolder and courageous than I am; hence proving the fact that I've said earlier. But mostly it was because of the fear that I have for my parents. I remember when I was in Form 1, I told my parents about wanting to join my sport house' try out. However, they decline my request as they said, I have no one to send me to school early in the morning (in Form 1 and 2, we were afternoon sessions and I was using school bus to and fro). Hence, from there onwards I was a bit reluctant when it comes to sports. Actually, I did joined a few clubs in school namely Softball club (in Form 2), Webteam Club (Form 1). And also the school's choir, in Form 2 as well.  But as I was afraid that I might turn into the bad influence that I've seen all around me, I started pulling out from school's extra curricular activities when I was in Form 3. And guess where did that fear came from? My parent of course. 

Only after in 2007 where they started to implement the meritocracy policy my parent realized that I should be active in extra curricular activities, but it was kinda too late for me. I was accepted to undergo the National Service training at Betong (they say it was because I wasn't active in extra curricular activities. I wish to believe it back then but some of my fellow trainees are very active in school. Why were they selected then?), and then I continued my studies in Form 6 because I got rejected in every UPU application that I applied. However, I must say, that I did not regret that I went there because it had opened my eyes little by little about life. 

I am proud to say, I was one of them before, Minus the tudung and the dark skin.

I met people with different backgrounds. Some come from a well-to-do family, some have to earn for a living because their family couldn't afford to give some things that they want (and at times, needed), some are just like me, a middle class working family. But there, we are treated alike. And from there I learnt that fear, are nothing but just a feeling. That will try to bring you down before you even try it. That was who I am back in my teen years. 



Since then, I tried to live my life as much normal as it possibly is. Try to make as many mistakes (not big ones of course) that I didn't make back in my early teen years. And that is when the bold, outrageous Marcella made her comeback. It was the perfect timing; late adolescent, early adulthood. Thanks to all the people that I've met along the way. But still, I was being ridiculed for making such mistakes. At times, I was being equaled to some relatives of mine who didn't achieve as much as my parents did. There are times that I wonder, whether did they ever experienced whatever I had, that they are so afraid that I'm making those mistakes; or they had never done whatever I did, feel a bit intimidated to the fact that they ridiculed me? 

But yet, I still make it to the varsity. And mind you, among the five of us who were born in the same year (1990), there are only three of us who make it to the varsity. Each and everyone of us (I believe) had encountered different things during our adolescent life, different fears in life; who knew which one of us had been to the most stickiest situation. But what the heck, those experience in the end of the day brought us to where we are now: THE VARSITY. 

Only now, my parent had loosen up a bit when it comes to me and my choices in life. There are times I was being said this and that, but it was not as bad for when I was in my adolescent years. There are times whenever I made mistakes (best example, the time I brought scratches of baby Kelisa which was clearly my fault, but) I couldn't bring myself to tell it for fear the small issue (of scratches on the cars) will be 'publicized' into bigger issues (like accidents). I have gotten rid of some of my fears in life, because I know that being brave means that I know of the things that had made me scared but I turn those things into something else that is positive (my guess is that this is the true meaning of OPTIMISM). 


There are some fears that I couldn't shake away though. But I will always remember this as I go on in my life: have COURAGE. For courage makes everything possible. And maybe then, I will be able to conquer my fears, one by one, one step at a time. 


And to end this post, take your time and listen to the lyrics of Perfect by Pink, and asked yourself; would you rather be perfect, have everything in this world but those simple things like love and family, or be imperfect but accepted by those who love you? Youngsters (and that goes to me also *coughs*), don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them. You will never know what you will become without those mistakes. 




Love,

Marcy.
Xoxo.







CONVERSATION

0 comments darling:

Post a Comment

Back
to top